Curriculum for Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences
Atmospheric Sciences is a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in the College of Arts & Sciences. Therefore, the general education requirements for the BS degree apply to the major.
To review the course work required for the Geographic Information Science (GIS) major please click on the file below.
Sample Four-Year Plan
To review the progression of course work over four years of study please click on the file below.
Please see the Courses and Syllabi page for details on individual courses.
General Education Requirements
Below is a link to the General Education Requirements for the College of Arts & Sciences. Be sure to reference the document for the Bachelor of Science degree that is applicable to the Atmospheric Sciences major.
Required Prerequisites to the Major*
- MATH 1151: Calculus and Analytic Geometry I, 5 Credit Hours
- MATH 1152: Calculus and Analytic Geometry II, 5 Credit Hours
- MATH 2153: Calculus and Analytic Geometry III, 4 Credit Hours
- MATH 2255: Differential Equations and their Applications, 3 Credit Hours
- PHYSICS 1250: Introductory Physics: Particles and Motion, 5 Credit Hours
- PHYSICS 1251: Introductory Physics: Electricity and Magnetism**, 5 Credit Hours
- Chemistry 1210: General Chemistry**, 5 Credit Hours
- STAT 2450: Introduction to Statistical Analysis**, 3 Credit Hours
Required Courses (26 hours)
- AS 2940: Basic Meteorology OR GEOG 5900: Climatology, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5921: Boundary Layer Climatology, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5922: Microclimatological Measurements, 3 Credit Hours
- AS/GEOG 5940: Synoptic Meteorology Laboratory, 2 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5941: Synoptic Analysis and Forecasting, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5942: Severe Storm Forecasting, 3 Credit Hours
- AS 5950: Atmospheric Thermodynamics, 3 Credit Hours
- AS 5951: Dynamic Meteorology I, 3 Credit Hours
- AS 5952: Dynamic Meteorology II, 3 Credit Hours
Required Electives: Choose two (6 hours)
- AS 5901: Climate System Modeling: Basics and Applications, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 3900: Global Climate Change: Causes and Consequences OR GEOG 3901H: Global Climate and Environmental Change, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5200: Cartography and Map Design, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5210: Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems, 3 Credit Hours
- GEOG 5225: Geographic Applications of Remote Sensing, 3 Credit Hours
- EARTHSCI 2206: Principles of Oceanography, 3 Credit Hours
- CIVILEN 5130: Applied Hydrology, 3 Credit Hours
- CIVILEN 5420: Remote Sensing of the Environment, 3 Credit Hours
Minimum Total Major Hours: 32
*Prerequisites are course specific. There are no prerequisites that must be completed before applying to the Atmospheric Sciences major.
** Courses are not prerequisites for any of the Atmospheric Sciences courses. They are supplements to the major and must be completed before graduation.
The General Education Requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree are available on the College of Arts and Sciences website.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them.